CALL TO CAUCUS: VIRGINIA 33rd SENATE DISTRICT
UPDATE: Congratulations to our nominee, Delegate Jennifer Boysko! Click here to learn more
Congresswoman-Elect Jennifer Wexton will be vacating her seat in the Senate of Virginia. The Democratic Party will hold a caucus on November 17th, 2018 to nominate a candidate for the eventual special election.
Click here to read the official Call to Caucus
Click here for the rules document
Click here to view a map of the 33rd Senate District (provided by the Virginia Public Access Project)
Candidates who have announced so far (in alphabetical order):
Call to Democratic Party Caucus on November 17, 2018,
Virginia 33d Senate District
November 7, 2018
- Call. Pursuant to the Democratic Party Plan of Virginia (“the Party Plan”), the 33d Senate District Nominating Committee (“the Committee”) hereby calls an Unassembled Caucus for the sole purpose of choosing a Democratic nominee for the 33d Senate District (“the 33d District”). In the circumstance that no vacancy occurs in the 33d District prior to January 3, 2019, the beginning of the 116th Congress, the results of the nominating process shall be moot and nonbinding.
- Caucus Rules, Forms, and Information. Caucus rules will be posted, along with other pertinent forms and information about the nominating process, at the Fairfax County Democratic Committee website (www.fairfaxdemocrats.org) and the Loudoun County Democratic Committee website (www.loudoundemocrats.org). Any changes to the Caucus rules will be updated on these sites.
- General Participation Requirements. Each participant in the Caucus must be a qualified voter in the 33d District at the time of their participation. No participant in the Caucus may intend to support any candidate who is opposed to the Democratic nominee in that Special Election.
- Voting Opportunities. Participants in the Caucus may vote in person only on Saturday, November 17, 2018, at any one of the following four locations, irrespective of residence. All will be open from 10:00 am until 4 pm. (Note: Each voter may arrive at any point between the hours listed above, cast his or her ballot, and leave.)
Loudoun Location 1
691 Potomac Station Drive NE
Leesburg, VA 20176
Loudoun Location 2
Cascades Senior Center
21060 Whitfield Place
Sterling, VA 20165
Loudoun Location 3
Rosa Lee Carter Elementary
43330 Loudoun Reserve Dr
Ashburn, VA 20148
Herndon Municipal Center
777 Lynn Street
Herndon, VA 20170
- Candidate Requirements. Each candidate for nomination must meet all applicable requirements of state law, the Party Plan, and Caucus rules. Each candidate for nomination must submit a completed Declaration of Candidacy form to the Chair of the Nominating Committee no later than 7:00 pm Wednesday, November 14, 2018. Each form must bear the original signature of the candidate and must be accompanied by:
- A filing fee of $1,500.00, made payable to the Loudoun County Democratic Committee.
- 25 signatures from registered voters eligible to vote in the 33rd District, notarized by collectors.
Mail forms and filing fees to the Chair, Alfonso Nevarez, Loudoun County Democratic Committee, PO Box 544, Leesburg, Virginia 20178, or arrange to deliver in person in Sterling, VA, by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your declaration of candidacy attached. Emails to deliver in person must be received by 7:00 pm Wednesday, November 14, 2018.
If only one qualified candidate files by the deadline, that person will be the nominee of the Democratic Party and the Caucus will be canceled.
For questions about the Caucus, to request any accommodation necessary to ensure full participation, or to file a Declaration of Candidacy, please contact Alfonso Nevarez, Nominating Committee Chair, at any time at email@example.com.
RULES FOR THE UNASSEMBLED CAUCUS TO BE HELD NOVEMBER 17, 2018, TO DETERMINE THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE FOR THE VIRGINIA 33d SENATE DISTRICT (FIREHOUSE PRIMARY)
- The doors to the caucus rooms will open and the certification process will begin promptly at 10:00 am.
- The doors to the caucus rooms will close promptly at 4 pm. Persons standing in line to complete a certification form (see below) at the time the doors close will be allowed to complete their forms and participate in the caucus. Participants will have their voter registration verified at the Registration table prior to voting in the caucus.
- Every person who participates in the caucus must complete a certification form and sign a statement saying that they are a registered voter, a Democrat, and that they do not intend to support a candidate opposed to the Democratic nominee in the next ensuing election.
- The Chair of the 33d Senate District Nominating Committee shall act as the permanent Chair of the Caucus.
- The Recording Secretary of the 33d Senate District Nominating Committee shall act as the Secretary of the Caucus.
- The caucus shall be conducted in accordance with the Virginia Democratic Party Plan and the Call to Caucus.
- The permanent chair shall appoint a tellers committee. The members of the tellers committee shall count the ballots.
- Ballots will be prepared listing the first name, middle initial, and last name of each candidate; the names will appear on the ballots in random order.
- Caucus participants may vote for a candidate by placing a mark beside the appropriate name or by circling the name.
- There shall be no campaigning inside the caucus room or check-in area. While buttons or lapel stickers may be worn, no candidate material may be distributed. Any material must be distributed outside the building in which the caucus is being held.
- No press or observers will be permitted in the rooms in which balloting takes place. ONE designated representative from each candidate’s campaign may be allowed to observe all processes during the caucus, provided that they have a signed letter from the candidate designating that person as their Authorized Representative.
- Unresolved tie votes will be decided by the drawing of lots.
- Additional rules and process descriptions are listed in Appendix A – Detailed Rules and Processes. Visit loudoundemocrats.org or fairfaxdemocrats.org to view Appendix A online.