Escape the heat while sipping a refreshing libation and reading about important happenings in Virginia and national Democratic politics in the August issue of The Democrat.
- Read first-person accounts from the Philadelphia convention, from the perspectives of Hillary and Bernie delegates.
- Read one view of how Sanders supporters might be mobilized for the election.
- Read a review of an important new book about class in America.
- Read about how the GOP’s use of language rivals that of the Newspeak that Orwell warned of in his classic 1984.
And remember: The Democrat is You!
- Didn’t make it to the Virginia Democratic convention in Richmond? Find out what it was like, from the perspectives of both a Clinton and a Sanders delegate. Photos, too.
- Find out how Labor Secretary (and possible Clinton VP pick) Thomas Perez has helped American workers.
- Read a review of the book Reign of Error, about how the movement to privatize our schools is hurting education—and our children.
- Remember the survey of The Democrat’s readers? Take a look at results to date.
- And find out why one of our columnists is Mad as Hell!
All of the above and more in the July 2016 issue of The Democrat.
And remember: The Democrat is You!
- Where can you find out what goes into deciding how our schools are funded?
- How Fairfax Democrats feel about a proposed “Right to Work” constitutional amendment (and a Right to Work fantasy involving Milton Friedman)?
- Information about the June 18 state convention?
- How to help seniors register to vote?
- And what you need to know about Dark Money, the book?
In the June 2016 issue of The Democrat, of course–FCDC’s own monthly magazine chock full of news-you-can-use as well as thought-provoking issue discussions.
The June 2016 issue of The Democrat is available HERE, NOW.
- Full coverage of the JJ Dinner
- A preview of the CD conventions
- Labor articles on the Fight for Fifteen and the Verizon strike
- A comparison of video battles with the real thing
- Find out how to become a delegate to the Democratic state and/or national convention.
- Read about the results from the Democratic primary on March 1.
- Get to know our two new Fairfax County School Board members better. Discover what “lens” they “approach the work of the School Board” with.
- Visit the Book Review Section to find out “if the campaigns in 2016 are meaner than ever.”
This and more in the March issue of The Democrat.
Open and read your March 2016 issue of The Democrat today.
- Discover how First Lady Dorothy McAuliffe’s is working toward Bridging the Nutritional Divide in Virginia
- Scroll down to People in the News and read about the distinguished Dems who passed away
- Read about the fight for Income Inequality in America
Interested in the finding out about FCDC’s move into its new headquarters? Read this and more in the September/October issue of The Democrat.
Open and read your September/October 2015 issue of The Democrat today.
- Discover where FCDC Headquarters is moving to.
- Read the report on the FCDC National Affairs Policy Forum, “Rebooting Our Policy Agenda to Reclaim the American Dream”.
- Read about the FCDC State and Local Affairs Committee’s discussion with local experts on predatory lending.
- Scroll down to People in the News and read about the distinguished Dem who passed away.
This and more in the July issue of The Democrat.
Open and read your July 2015 issue of The Democrat today.
- Discover why U.S. Representatives Gerry Connolly (D-VA-11) and Don Beyer (D-VA-8) are greatly disappointed.
- Read about the upcoming FCDC National Affairs Policy Forum, “ Rebooting Our Policy Agenda to Reclaim the American Dream” on July 9 with Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT), progressive policy icon and co-founder of the Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC), and Representative Don Beyer.
- Read why it is so important to attend the June 26 FCSB Meeting.
- View the special FCDC JJ Dinner Insert.
This and more in the June issue of The Democrat.
Open and read your June 2015 issue of The Democrat today.
Open and read your December 2014 issue of The Democrat today.
Download and read the November 2014 The Democrat.
- Learn what Delegate Eileen Filler-Corn believes is “one of the pressing issues” legislators will face during the 2015 General Assembly Session.
- Read why the National Affairs Committee says “The economic impact of climate change will play a large role in how the United States and the rest of the world form and implement public policy…. “
- Update yourself on the activities the FCDC Diversity Committee has been participating in.
View some images from Election 2014.
This and more in the November 2014 The Democrat.
Open and read your November 2014 The Democrat today.
Discover in the September 2014 issue of The Democrat
- If you are eligible to vote absentee and find out when and where you can cast your vote;
- Why Scott Surovell is fighting for equal technological access for Virginia’s students;
- Why Penny Gross said this is “My Two Cents;” and
- Find out from At-Large FCPS Board Member, Ilryong Moon what changes will affect the 2014-2015 school year.
Open this month’s The Democrat and find out why Governor Terry McAuliffe chose the platform of the Virginia AFL-CIO convention to issue an executive order aimed at stamping out payroll fraud.
Need to catch up on what the campaigns are doing? Read about the 2014 U.S. Senate and House of Representatives candidates and their campaigns in the Campaign Trail Report. This and more in the September 2014 issue of The Democrat.
Take a moment and read your September 2014 issue of The Democrat today.
Open and read the May 2014 issue of The Democrat today and discover
- How Congressman Gerry Connolly is helping fight climate change,
- What State Senator George Barker says about a budget agreement in Richmond, and
- Why Supervisor Penny Gross says diversity is not new to Fairfax County.
Find out why the Labor Committee says “Elected leaders play an important role in whether workers have the right to freely organize into a union;” read about who you should be congratulating this month and whose lives should be remembered in our “People in the News” section. Discover and participate in the two new additions to The Democrat: The Book of the Month contributed this month by the National Affairs Committee and The Democrat Monthly Trivia Contest; this month’s contest theme is “30 years ago.” Do you remember where you were in 1984?
This and more can be found in the May 13 2014 The Democrat Revised Edition
The second issue of the redesigned The Democrat is now available. The April 2014 issue will capture your interest with
- Congressman Jim’s Moran newest fight on Capitol Hill to end the inhumane abuses of animals,
- Delegate Ken Plum’s Report Card of the 2014 General Assembly session, and
- Supervisor Jeff McKay’s discussion on the Fairfax County legislative package.
Read National Affairs Guest Author, Lori Wallach’s article on the NAFTA expansion agreement, Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP); find out why the Labor Committee says “to restore our middle class, workers must be free to organize and participate in unions without fear of retaliation;” discover who should receive our congratulations in our “People in the News” section, and hear about what the FCDC Technology Committee has been very busy doing. This and more can be found in the April 2014 issue of The Democrat.
Take a moment and review the redesigned monthly publication, The Democrat. The March 2014 issue will capture your interest with
- Congressman Gerry Connolly’s powerful article about his Northern Virginia archival project,
- Senate Majority Leader Richard Saslaw’s take on what’s happening in Richmond, and
- Chairman’s Bulova’s talk about the Fairfax County budget.
Learn about how the Governor is keeping his campaign promise of “Putting Jobs First.” Find out more about the topic of the program of our next FCDC Meeting from the National Affairs Committee, shed a tear when reading our human interest story, Remembering Shirley Carson, and review the volunteer opportunities and Headquarters News. This and more can be found in the March 2014 issue of The Democrat.
- 2011 The Democrat, December
- 2011 The Democrat, November Post-Election Edition
- 2011 The Democrat, October
- 2011 The Democrat, September
- 2011 The Democrat, August
- 2011 The Democrat, July
- 2011 The Democrat, June
- 2011 The Democrat, May
- 2011 The Democrat, April
- 2011 The Democrat, March
- 2011 The Democrat, February
- 2011 The Democrat, January
- 2010 The Democrat, November – Special Post-Election Issue
- 2010 The Democrat, October
- 2010 The Democrat, September
- 2010 The Democrat, August
- 2010 The Democrat, July
- 2010 The Democrat, June
- 2010 The Democrat, May
Archived Issues 1962 to 2009
Archiving in process – Click here to view the files We are scanning past print issues of The Democrat to make them available to the public.
About The Democrat
|The Democrat is the monthly newsletter of the Fairfax County Democratic Committee, and its purpose is to provide information to Committee members and other interested persons through district reports, committee reports, news articles, campaign notices, and flyers. Views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the FCDC unless specifically approved by an appropriate Committee Resolution.|
How to Submit Material Generally material submitted to The Democrat should be limited to 250-300 words unless exceptions are made by the Editor or FCDC Chair. Please email material to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attach text file or photos, or copy the material into the email message. Deadline for submission is the last day of each month by 11:59 pm for inclusion in the following month’s issue. Limited numbers of The Democrat are mailed, primarily to those who do not have access to email. Deadlines Articles must be received by usually the last Friday of each month unless the month has four weeks. Deadlines are published in The Democrat. Articles received after the deadline may not make it into the issue. Advertising Ads are very much welcomed and accepted; however, we reserve the right to reject ads for any reason. No product, service, or event advertised herein is endorsed by The Democrat or the FCDC, unless otherwise noted. Let Us Hear From You! Write articles! Send photos! See details above, under How to submit material