FCDC’s newsletter was renamed The Blue View in 2018.
Here are archives of our previous newsletter, The Democrat.
We’ve archived the scanned issues going back to 1962!
It’s almost Election Day! Keep up with all that’s happening by reading your October issue of The Democrat, where you’ll find:
- Critical Election Day information
- Background on the ballot initiative to enshrine Right-To-Work in the Virginia constitution
- Why the Meals Tax ballot question is so important
- What you may not have known about Gerry Connolly
- Remember, October 2016 The Democrat is You!
Waiting for you in the September issue of The Democrat.
- All you need to know about EARLY VOTING!
- Recent court rulings on states’ voting rights laws
- LuAnn Bennett’s Race to Unseat Barbara Comstock in the 10th CD
- The EpiPen and Fairfax
- Book Review: Political Animals
- Communicating with the “Trumpishly Inclined”
- ACA at a Crossroads
- And more.
Remember: The Democrat is YOU!
Escape the heat while sipping a refreshing libation and reading about important happenings in Virginia and national Democratic politics in the August issue of The Democrat.
- Read first-person accounts from the Philadelphia convention, from the perspectives of Hillary and Bernie delegates.
- Read one view of how Sanders supporters might be mobilized for the election.
- Read a review of an important new book about class in America.
- Read about how the GOP’s use of language rivals that of the Newspeak that Orwell warned of in his classic 1984.
And remember: The Democrat is You!
The July 2016 issue of The Democrat is now available.
- Didn’t make it to the Virginia Democratic convention in Richmond? Find out what it was like, from the perspectives of both a Clinton and a Sanders delegate. Photos, too.
- Find out how Labor Secretary (and possible Clinton VP pick) Thomas Perez has helped American workers.
- Read a review of the book Reign of Error, about how the movement to privatize our schools is hurting education—and our children.
- Remember the survey of The Democrat’s readers? Take a look at results to date.
- And find out why one of our columnists is Mad as Hell!
All of the above and more in the July 2016 issue of The Democrat.
And remember: The Democrat is You!
- Where can you find out what goes into deciding how our schools are funded?
- How Fairfax Democrats feel about a proposed “Right to Work” constitutional amendment (and a Right to Work fantasy involving Milton Friedman)?
- Information about the June 18 state convention?
- How to help seniors register to vote?
- And what you need to know about Dark Money, the book?
In the June 2016 issue of The Democrat, of course–FCDC’s own monthly magazine chock full of news-you-can-use as well as thought-provoking issue discussions.
The June 2016 issue of The Democrat is available HERE, NOW.
The Democrat is You!
The May 2016 issue of The Democrat is now available.
- Full coverage of the JJ Dinner
- A preview of the CD conventions
- Labor articles on the Fight for Fifteen and the Verizon strike
- A comparison of video battles with the real thing
The April issue of The Democrat has articles you won’t want to miss.
- The first Point/Counterpoint exchange: Why two respected FCDC members support Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders respectively.
- An insider’s view of the Virginia House of Delegates from first-term Delegate Jennifer Boysko.
- An end-of-session report from our longest-serving member of the House of Delegates, Delegate Ken Plum.
- Read about the judge’s verdict in the case against Senator Dick Saslaw’s former treasurer, Linda Wallis aka Lynn Wallis Miller.
This and more, exclusively in April issue of The Democrat.
Download and read the March 2016 issue of The Democrat
- Find out how to become a delegate to the Democratic state and/or national convention.
- Read about the results from the Democratic primary on March 1.
- Get to know our two new Fairfax County School Board members better. Discover what “lens” they “approach the work of the School Board” with.
- Visit the Book Review Section to find out “if the campaigns in 2016 are meaner than ever.”
This and more in the March issue of The Democrat.
Open and read your March 2016 issue of The Democrat today.
Download and read the September/October 2015 issue of The Democrat .
- Discover how First Lady Dorothy McAuliffe’s is working toward Bridging the Nutritional Divide in Virginia
- Scroll down to People in the News and read about the distinguished Dems who passed away
- Read about the fight for Income Inequality in America
Interested in the finding out about FCDC’s move into its new headquarters? Read this and more in the September/October issue of The Democrat.
Open and read your September/October 2015 issue of The Democrat today.
- Discover where FCDC Headquarters is moving to.
- Read the report on the FCDC National Affairs Policy Forum, “Rebooting Our Policy Agenda to Reclaim the American Dream”.
- Read about the FCDC State and Local Affairs Committee’s discussion with local experts on predatory lending.
- Scroll down to People in the News and read about the distinguished Dem who passed away.
This and more in the July issue of The Democrat.
Open and read your July 2015 issue of The Democrat today.
Download and read the June 2015 issue of The Democrat
- Discover why U.S. Representatives Gerry Connolly (D-VA-11) and Don Beyer (D-VA-8) are greatly disappointed.
- Read about the upcoming FCDC National Affairs Policy Forum, “ Rebooting Our Policy Agenda to Reclaim the American Dream” on July 9 with Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT), progressive policy icon and co-founder of the Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC), and Representative Don Beyer.
- Read why it is so important to attend the June 26 FCSB Meeting.
- View the special FCDC JJ Dinner Insert.
This and more in the June issue of The Democrat.
Open and read your June 2015 issue of The Democrat today.
Download and read the April 2015 issue of The Democrat
- Find out what and why Mt. Vernon Supervisor Gerry Hyland said, “In my 28 years as Mount Vernon District Supervisor, nothing has been more controversial.”
- Discover what caused Congressman Gerry Connolly to say, “…as a member of Congress, I’m not interested in arguing the facts, I’m interested in doing something about it.”
- Read about the FCDC National Affairs Symposium “Global Climate Change: No Longer Tomorrow’s Challenge” and find out how they galvanized a forward-looking dialogue on climate change solutions.
This and more in the April issue of The Democrat.
Open and read your April 2015 issue of The Democrat today.
Download and read the March 2015 issue of The Democrat.
- Find out why State Senator Richard Saslaw thought this year’s budget process in Richmond went smoothly. Discover what got funded that may have been neglected in past years.
- Read about Freshman Delegate Kathleen Murphy’s first year in the House and find out how she felt when the House passed two egregious bills that would threaten the safety of children and make communities more dangerous.
- Discover why Chairman Sharon Bulova says, “Education is our Board’s highest priority but it is not our only priority.”
- Read the National Affairs Committee article to discover why they believe, “It’s time for Democrats to learn from our mistakes and coalesce around a national economic message that exemplifies our progressive legacy. “
This and more in the March issue of The Democrat.
Open and read your March 2015 issue of The Democrat today.
Download and read the February 2015 issue of The Democrat.
- Find out which FCDC member is celebrating 50 years of FCDC activism.
- Read about the retirement of two prominent elected officials.
- Get current with State Senators Saslaw and Howell’s Report from Richmond.
- Missed the last general membership FCDC meeting? Read about the climate control resolution that was approved at the January meeting.
- Find out why Springfield District FCDC members who visited the General Assembly this session left saying, “Proud to be a Democrat.”
- Browse the photo collage, Visiting Richmond 2015.
This and more in the February issue of The Democrat.
Open and read your February 2015 of The Democrat today.
Download and read the January 2015 issue of The Democrat .
- Find out why FCDC Chairman, Sue Langley says, “We intend to have Democratic candidates for all of these local positions.”
- Read Fairfax County Board Chairman’s article 2014 to 2015 and find out how you can volunteer for the World Police and Fire Games.
- Read why the National Affairs Committee guest author, Pat Hynes says “The true [public school] reformers, unfortunately, have not been watching their backs very well. “
- Browse the photo collage of the 2015 Road to Richmond Legislative Brunch.
This and more in the January issue of The Democrat .
Open and read your January 2015 issue of The Democrat today.
Download and read the December 2014 issue of The Democrat.
- Read about the FCDC November Legislative Roundtable, the holiday party, and the results of the Kate Hanley Family Shelter gift drive.
- Discover in the National Affairs Committee article why Melissa Harrison of the Natural Resources Defense Council Action Fund believes that in spite of the setback from the midterm elections, the momentum for taking serious action to combat climate change is real.
- View the tribute to the former and current FCDC members who died in 2014.
This and more in the December issue of The Democrat.
Open and read your December 2014 issue of The Democrat today.
Download and read the November 2014 The Democrat.
- Learn what Delegate Eileen Filler-Corn believes is “one of the pressing issues” legislators will face during the 2015 General Assembly Session.
- Read why the National Affairs Committee says “The economic impact of climate change will play a large role in how the United States and the rest of the world form and implement public policy…. “
- Update yourself on the activities the FCDC Diversity Committee has been participating in.
View some images from Election 2014.
This and more in the November 2014 The Democrat.
Open and read your November 2014 The Democrat today.
Find out in the October 2014 issue of The Democrat.
- Why Chap Petersen believes we need to re-examine our political culture in Virginia,
- How Senator Mark Warner and Representative Gerry Connolly (VA-11th) are governing while campaigning, and
When the 2015 Fairfax County Legislative Package will be available for comment.
Download and read Jeff McKay’s column on how the county staff goes about developing the Fairfax County Legislative Package. Discover why the National Affairs Committee says “climate change is a catalyst for conflict.” Learn about all the activities the FCDC Diversity Committee has been participating in.
Need to catch up on what the joint campaign been doing? Read about the 2014 Joint Campaign, the ease of voting, and campaign volunteer opportunities in a special campaign report: Push to the End.
This and more in the October issue of The Democrat.
Open and read your October 2014 issue of The Democrat today.
Discover in the September 2014 issue of The Democrat
- If you are eligible to vote absentee and find out when and where you can cast your vote;
- Why Scott Surovell is fighting for equal technological access for Virginia’s students;
- Why Penny Gross said this is “My Two Cents;” and
- Find out from At-Large FCPS Board Member, Ilryong Moon what changes will affect the 2014-2015 school year.
Open this month’s The Democrat and find out why Governor Terry McAuliffe chose the platform of the Virginia AFL-CIO convention to issue an executive order aimed at stamping out payroll fraud.
Need to catch up on what the campaigns are doing? Read about the 2014 U.S. Senate and House of Representatives candidates and their campaigns in the Campaign Trail Report. This and more in the September 2014 issue of The Democrat.
Take a moment and read your September 2014 issue of The Democrat today.
Discover in the August 2014 Issue of The Democrat
- Why Senator Warner believes that the bipartisan bill to reauthorize the funding for the Export-Import Bank is crucial to Virginia businesses,
- Why Sue Langley is praising this year’s FCDC Interns, and
- Why you should be celebrating milestones achieved in Fairfax County with Sharon Bulova and Ryan McElveen.
Download and read why our FCDC Labor Committee is addressing, “What labor wants?” Find out what long-time Watergate-era democratic activist recently died.
Need to catch up on what the campaigns are doing? Read about the 2014 Congressional candidates and their campaigns in the Campaign Trail Report. This and more in the August 2014 Issue of The Democrat .
Open and read your August 2014 Issue of The Democrat.
Discover in the July 2014 issue of The Democrat
- Why Senator Kaine believes innovative outside-the-box solutions can help tackle the costs of college education,
- Why Delegate Bulova’s states “despite setbacks, thanks to the Democratic leadership, the General Assembly was able to move many issues forward”,
- Why Supervisor Hudgins believes that the need for alternative and multiple commuting modes of transportation is as critical today as it was in the 1920s, and
- Why Supervisor Hyland believes that Fairfax County should put the meals tax on the ballot in 2016.
Download and read why Fairfax School Board Member Jane Strauss says the School Board’s vote to increase elementary instruction for students is a good change. Read and respond to The Democrat’s column – Point/Counterpoint: The Meals Tax. See why our FCDC Labor Committee is saying labor is committed to immigrant rights. Read Part II of the FCDC’s National Affairs Committee’s series of national issues and questions of concern to Democrats.
Need to catch up on what the campaigns are doing? Read about the 2014 Senatorial and Congressional candidates and their campaigns in the Campaign Trail Report. This and more in the July 2014 The Democrat.
Open and read your July 2014 The Democrat today.
Discover in Your June 2014 Issue of The Democrat
- Why Congressman Moran fully supports the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) new energy standard,
- Why Fairfax County Recognized Congressman Connolly’s leadership,
- Why Jeff McKay says there’s no better way to get our Democratic message across than at the local level,
- How the donkey became the mascot of the Democratic Party, and
- What the FCDC new logo looks like.
Download and read Delegate Marcus Simon’s first article to The Democrat. Find out why Pat Hynes wants to talk about big “D” Democratic values and how they inform policy around public schools. See why our FCDC Labor Committee is promoting school and union partnerships. Follow the FCDC National Affairs Committee’s series of national issues and questions of concern to Democrats. This and more in the June issue of The Democrat.
Open and read Your June 2014 Issue of The Democrat today.
Take a moment to browse through the Special JJ Edition of The Democrat and see who was awarded the FCDC District Member of the Year, FCDC Volunteer of the Year, Magisterial District of the Year, Charles S. Robb Young Leaders Award, and Lynda J. Robb Community Service Award; read who received magisterial district awards; hear about the successful silent auction; and, enjoy the memories of the 2014 Jefferson-Jackson Dinner.
Read about the program and the dinner festivities in the Special JJ Edition of The Democrat.
Open and read the May 2014 issue of The Democrat today and discover
- How Congressman Gerry Connolly is helping fight climate change,
- What State Senator George Barker says about a budget agreement in Richmond, and
- Why Supervisor Penny Gross says diversity is not new to Fairfax County.
Find out why the Labor Committee says “Elected leaders play an important role in whether workers have the right to freely organize into a union;” read about who you should be congratulating this month and whose lives should be remembered in our “People in the News” section. Discover and participate in the two new additions to The Democrat: The Book of the Month contributed this month by the National Affairs Committee and The Democrat Monthly Trivia Contest; this month’s contest theme is “30 years ago.” Do you remember where you were in 1984?
This and more can be found in the May 13 2014 The Democrat Revised Edition
The second issue of the redesigned The Democrat is now available. The April 2014 issue will capture your interest with
- Congressman Jim’s Moran newest fight on Capitol Hill to end the inhumane abuses of animals,
- Delegate Ken Plum’s Report Card of the 2014 General Assembly session, and
- Supervisor Jeff McKay’s discussion on the Fairfax County legislative package.
Read National Affairs Guest Author, Lori Wallach’s article on the NAFTA expansion agreement, Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP); find out why the Labor Committee says “to restore our middle class, workers must be free to organize and participate in unions without fear of retaliation;” discover who should receive our congratulations in our “People in the News” section, and hear about what the FCDC Technology Committee has been very busy doing. This and more can be found in the April 2014 issue of The Democrat.
Take a moment and review the redesigned monthly publication, The Democrat. The March 2014 issue will capture your interest with
- Congressman Gerry Connolly’s powerful article about his Northern Virginia archival project,
- Senate Majority Leader Richard Saslaw’s take on what’s happening in Richmond, and
- Chairman’s Bulova’s talk about the Fairfax County budget.
Learn about how the Governor is keeping his campaign promise of “Putting Jobs First.” Find out more about the topic of the program of our next FCDC Meeting from the National Affairs Committee, shed a tear when reading our human interest story, Remembering Shirley Carson, and review the volunteer opportunities and Headquarters News. This and more can be found in the March 2014 issue of The Democrat.
- 2011 The Democrat, December
- 2011 The Democrat, November Post-Election Edition
- 2011 The Democrat, October
- 2011 The Democrat, September
- 2011 The Democrat, August
- 2011 The Democrat, July
- 2011 The Democrat, June
- 2011 The Democrat, May
- 2011 The Democrat, April
- 2011 The Democrat, March
- 2011 The Democrat, February
- 2011 The Democrat, January
- 2010 The Democrat, November – Special Post-Election Issue
- 2010 The Democrat, October
- 2010 The Democrat, September
- 2010 The Democrat, August
- 2010 The Democrat, July
- 2010 The Democrat, June
- 2010 The Democrat, May
Archived Issues 1962 to 2009
Archiving in process – Click here to view the files We are scanning past print issues of The Democrat to make them available to the public.
About The Democrat
|The Democrat is the monthly newsletter of the Fairfax County Democratic Committee, and its purpose is to provide information to Committee members and other interested persons through district reports, committee reports, news articles, campaign notices, and flyers. Views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the FCDC unless specifically approved by an appropriate Committee Resolution.|
How to Submit Material Generally material submitted to The Democrat should be limited to 250-300 words unless exceptions are made by the Editor or FCDC Chair. Please email material to email@example.com. Attach text file or photos, or copy the material into the email message. Deadline for submission is the last day of each month by 11:59 pm for inclusion in the following month’s issue. Limited numbers of The Democrat are mailed, primarily to those who do not have access to email. Deadlines Articles must be received by usually the last Friday of each month unless the month has four weeks. Deadlines are published in The Democrat. Articles received after the deadline may not make it into the issue. Advertising Ads are very much welcomed and accepted; however, we reserve the right to reject ads for any reason. No product, service, or event advertised herein is endorsed by The Democrat or the FCDC, unless otherwise noted. Let Us Hear From You! Write articles! Send photos! See details above, under How to submit material